Sack and bulk labelling
Sacks and bulk products entering the distribution / logistics supply chain require identification in the form of a barcode label. Barcodes are printed symbols containing data that can be read using a barcode scanner to facilitate the handling and tracking of an item.
The barcode symbology used can be Code 39, GS1 128, and Code 128 ideally printed onto a 140mm x 70mm sized label that is applied to the side wall or top surface when filled. The label media is a unique material that can withstand the transport process and changing weather conditions.
One label per unit is acceptable if printed on demand, applied in “real-time” (the label printed is the same label as being applied) and the barcode is displayed in ‘picket fence’ (vertical) orientation.
Depending on throughput speeds, Logopak offers three types of Sack/Bulk labeller.
- Logopak 400 – low cost print and apply Sack/Bulk labeller intended for slow speed labelling up to 20 labels per minute
- Logopak 500 – high speed print and apply Sack/Bulk labeller with large capacity label roll intended for high speed labelling up to 50 labels per minute
- Manufactured in-house
- Low cost of ownership
- Versatile range of applicators
- Real time labelling
- Efficient consumable changes
- Full supply chain compliance
- Outstanding support service
- Optimised for maximum productivity
What makes a good Sack/Bulk labeller?
To apply the perfect barcode label, consideration for following items is critical;
- Application. Non contact blow on applicators offer the advantage of few moving parts and no parts in contact with the moving product. Specially designed soft applicator pads to prevent damage to the labeller and sacks are required.
- Real time labelling. One-to-one labelling means there are no pre-printed labels on the label web or loop waiting to be applied. This means real time print data such as sequential number or real time clock data is absolutely accurate. No loop minimises label waste at product change over.
- Consumable stocks. Modern fillers can run up to 1000 products per hour and therefore a high speed applicator is required. In this high volume production, the downtime costs are high and therefore label roll capacity should be considered along with easy consumable changes from simple mechanical designs with as few threading rollers as possible.
- Application speed. This can be as low as 10 per minute or as high as 50 per minute dependant on the size/type of product. Any equipment supplied must be capable of achieving the desired speed with contingency should line speeds increase at a later date.
- Reliability. The labelling solution is a critical part of the line process and must provide high degrees of efficiency, reliability, performance and accuracy.
- User Interface & Operation. A simplified User Interface ensures busy operatives can effectively set-up and replenish the labeller. Using standard label designs with pre-configured variable data, which can be recalled, collected, and uploaded locally or across the network. Large TDI touch-screens with intelligent fault finding diagnostics allow any faults to be easily recognised and resolved quickly.
- Barcode Validation / Verification. Barcode quality is key, on line validation in essence records every barcode printed and applied and is the control between the labeller and line PLC to trigger a stop should the barcode fail to be read or fall below the standard for scanning.
- Enclosures. Sack / Bulk labelling is installed at the end of most production lines in demanding environments. Dust, dirt, water, airborne product are all possible elements that can cause machine failure if allowed to access the print head. In addition extreme temperatures and high FLT activity can all impact on the reliability of the labeller. To overcome this, a complete pressurised and heated enclosure is essential.
Sack and bulk labelling
Get in touch
Please call us on 01904 692333, or email using the online form. We’ll get back to you as soon as we can.
Over the past couple of years Logopak have worked with GeoPost UK in providing print and apply solutions to some of our major clients. On occasions the timescales to deliver the solution to our customers requirements have been aggressive but quality has never been compromised. Logopak offer flexible and reliable solutions, the team are extremely knowledgeable in print and apply solutions. We have always found them extremely helpful.
Technical Support Manager , DPD Ltd